Monday 14 June 2010

First day/night in Karlstad

Jemma:

God Morgan from Karlstad, Sweden!
I flew out yesterday (Sunday) from Heathrow and transfered from Stockholm to Karlstad in the afternoon. In the short ride over from the capital in a quaint little propeller plane I met many of the speakers and guests who'll be going to the Summit from today (Monday).

It was nice knowing there were other people in the same position and despite the many different languages everybody seem to be talking to one another.
I met Mami Komaya a research professor from Tokyo who happened to be staying at the same hotel as me (Clarion Hotel Plaza). We shared a taxi with two men from Brazil who are over here on business from the airport to the hotel in the city.

My first evening here (Sunday) I took the chance to explore a few of the streets nearby and stopped for a bite to eat. I ended bumping into the UK Youth Media Council group who are staying in a hostel a few yards away.


This morning (Monday) after breakfast I decided to venture further and followed a map to one of the many lakes here in Karlstad.
There are some breathtaking views out here:



I'll be heading to the opening of the World Summit at Karlstad University at 1pm (midday UK time) - watch this space for more updates!


3 comments:

  1. Hi Jemma,

    I hope Caroline has now been able to join you and that your first day has gone well.

    I look forward to catching up on your return, but in the meantime we'll work hard to come up with some questions for you to ask...

    Thanks,
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jemma

    Sounds like you're meeting interesting people, and it's great the UK Youth Media Council group are just around the corner.

    Any workshop headlines?

    Best

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Karen

    We'll be posting our first day experience of the workshops very soon so hopefully you'll get to read the headlines then.

    ReplyDelete